Wednesday 26 September 2018

Mount Murchison - September 2018

There is something that draws me to this Mountain. A calling, a whisper in the wind. Maybe it is because I've lived in it's shadow for 6 years now, but also, this mountain changed my life when I first made the summit. It was a sunrise seeking trip that awakened my soul from a deep sleep.

I was fortunate enough to take on of my best friends with me this trip. You know those overwhelming, take your breath away moments when you first experience some seriously magical surroundings? I always thought that there was nothing in the world that could top that feeling.

How wrong I was though.

The feeling of watching someone experience that for themselves. Now that is a feeling that really lights your soul.

We didn't make it to the summit this trip. The route proved to be to icy to safely continue without a pick and some boots on my friend. But it's not about reaching the top - it's always about the journey.


Icy incline - rope frozen solid. Ice a few inches deep in some parts. This was the end of the line for us.


I have never had the pleasure of greeting Murchison under foot in the colder months. It felt like a completely new trail that I had never been on in parts. So much green and new growth. Nature astounds me, each and every time. It was a magical spring day with the sun shining down, we could hear ice dropping from the cliff faces and smashing into the rocky bottom below. Rivers of snow melting and rushing to fill scattered lakes. The sound was magnificent.

A summit attempt in the next few weeks is calling us back - that might even turn into an overnight for a sunset/sunrise completion. For now, I'm counting down until I get to experience being in closer proximity to a few peaks that Murchison lets us have views of. An experience I will also be  excitably sharing with my son on his first overnight/multi-day trip.



More photos from the trip can be found HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment